Mission and History
To produce music theater that engages, inspires, and entertains audiences of all ages. We train and educate theatre artists and enthusiasts from children to late life learners. We believe in the essential power of music theatre to celebrate, inform, and interpret our common humanity.
About Berkeley Playhouse
Berkeley Playhouse was founded in 2007 by Artistic Director, Elizabeth McKoy, a professional theatre actor, director, and teacher for over 20 years. Berkeley Playhouse produces theatre that is “intelligent, relevant, and soul-stirring.” We bring together performers and audience members of all ages. We strive to provide experiences that fully engage performers and audiences.
Berkeley Playhouse is also offer educational programs. We provide classes, camps and performance training in acting, singing, dancing, and technical theatre. Children in our programs receive training from the best Bay Area teaching artists – many of them directors or performers in our MainStage shows.
A Berkeley Playhouse performance is a new type of theatre experience for many theatre-goers. Audience members are encouraged to become involved with the production on a number of levels. Audiences are inspired to think critically, act creatively, reflect imaginatively and connect more deeply with the worlds they are about to experience. In this way a Berkeley Playhouse production redefines the way an audience experiences the theatre. Audience members enjoy casting that is non-traditional, multicultural, and multi-generational. And interpretations of New Works and familiar classics are alive with fresh energy and new perspectives.
Julia Morgan Theater is the home to Berkeley Playhouse. The Julia Morgan Theater was built in 1910, and is a community treasure. The 328-seat theatre provides an intimate space for patrons of our shows that feels like “home.”
Our Three Divisions
- MainStage Company
- Three or four high-quality productions each season, most running for six weekends
- A New Works program that infuses new life into the family music theatre repertory
- Outreach programs to schools and community organizations through TheatreReach
- Youth Performance Programs
- High-quality, ticketed youth productions for Grades 3-7 (Imagination Players) and 7-12 (TeenStage)
- Educational Programs
- Beginning, Intermediate and skills-based classes in acting, singing, dancing and technical theatre
- Beginning and Intermediate performance-based summer and winter camps